Friday 27 January 2006

1. Boundary conditions

- SOHO is up-side down until next roll. The next SK/MM will be on
  March 7, the next 180 degree roll will be on March 15.  The thruster
  firings and roll are decoupled to have the roll as late as possible,
  to decrease chances of bad telemetry during the keyhole. For more
  details, see note under section 3.

- Graphical DSN schedule:

- All available keyhole information (including March 2006 keyhole) is at 

- Except for Major Flare Watches, TRACE will be doing full disk
  mosaics if/when EIT is not able to do synoptic sets due to keyhole

- KNOWN submode dependent activities/submode changes:

* TOO           JOP153/MMOP003 Future Major Flare Watch (SM5 if SUMER
                  observes target, SM6 otherwise)
* TOO           JOP175 Extended Filaments at the Limb (see sect. 2a), SM6
* Feb 18-27     JOP175 Extended Filaments at the Limb (see sect. 2a), SM6
* Feb 22-Mar 21 26m Keyhole (Feb 28-16 34m Keyhole), SM5/6
* Feb 28        Submode change to Submode 5, 18:55 UT
* Mar 17        Submode change to Submode 6, 18:55 UT
* Mar 17-30     JOP175 Extended Filaments at the Limb (see sect. 2a), SM6 **
* Mar 22        Submode change to Submode 5, 19:40 UT
* Mar 23-Apr 4  SUMER mini-campaign, SM5
* Mar 29        Solar Eclipse, 08:34-11:48 UT, SM5
* Mar 31/Apr 4  Submode change to Submode 6
* Apr 12,19     EIT Shutterless #23, 18:00-20:40 UT, SM6 
* May 27-Jun 14 26m Keyhole (May 31-Jun 11 34m Keyhole), SM5/6
* Jul 26,Aug 2  EIT Shutterless #24, SM6, TBC
* Aug 21-Sep 19 26m Keyhole (Aug 28-Sep 13 34m Keyhole), SM5/6
* Oct 18,25     EIT Shutterless #25, SM6, TBC
* Nov 1-Dec 15  SUMER Campaign, SM5, TBC
* Nov 24-Dec 11 26m Keyhole (Nov 27-Dec 08 34m Keyhole), SM5/6

  ** Note that we will be in submode 5 due to the keyhole until March
  17 and going back again on March 22 for the SUMER campaign.

  Some of the default SUMER campaign dates overlap with keyholes -
  which is not a problem in itself (submode 5 will often be needed for
  keyholes anyhow) as long as potential periods of no SUMER data
  between passes can be accepted.

  SUMER plans a compact campaign at MEDOC starting Mar 23 and ending
  Apr 4.  Will need EOF support during weekend Mar 25-26 for NRT from
  MEDOC.  Ending date could be as early as Mar 31, weekend is

  SUMER will make a raster in the EIT FOV during the EIT shutterless
  #23, segment 1 (April 12).  Program will be loaded during the
  mini-campaign and started either by time-tag or manually (need Chris
  to press the button), to be decided later.  SUMER contact: Maria

- EIT Bakeout/Other

  EIT will bakeout during the March keyhole, dates TBD.

- TRACE Eclipse period

* Oct 14-Feb 17 TRACE Hard Eclipse Season

  TRACE loads plans only 3 days a week (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays).

2. Priorities for the coming month and more

a) Joint observing plans and campaigns

Continuing campaigns:

* 2002/02/25--  JOP136 Default RHESSI Collaborations (#6850), POC:Stein Haugan
* 2002/04/25--  JOP159 CMEs in Lyman-alpha (#6870), SWAN/LASCO/EIT/UVCS,
                  POC: Chris St Cyr, Eric Quemerais
* 2003/05/13--  Default CDS Co-observations with TRACE (#6950)
* 2003/07/01--  Network-Internetwork Oscillations (#7033), EIT/TRACE,
                  POC: Scott McIntosh
* 2004/02/19--  JOP175 Extended Filaments at the Limb (#7135), 
                  POC: Chris St Cyr (
* 2005/09/20--  JOP153/MMOP003 Future Major Flare Watch (#8006)

  Campaign #6850 is for "individual instrument studies" selecting an AR
  target [partially] influenced by the Max Millennium target selection
  to maximise chances of serendipitous co-observations.

  EIT supports all with half/full-res 195  CME watch in submode 5/6,
  except JOP175 getting half/full-res 304  CME watch in submode 5/6,
  and Network-Internetwork Oscillations which is TBD by Scott
  McIntosh.  As long as the S/C is in submode 6, all EIT CME watch
  will be in full res. Major Flare Watches will be in full-res even if
  it requires a submode change, unless the target is observed by

  JOP175 is listed as a top-priority TOO for February 18-27 and March
  17-30.  UVCS will participate during all of the first period, and
  during March 17-26. 

* Jan 31        Sounding Rocket Launch, MOSES/CDS/EIT/MDI/TRACE, 17:49 UT,
                  POC: Charles Kankelborg (
                Sounding Rocket Launch, EUNIS/EIT/CDS/TRACE/VLA, 18:19 UT

  February 2 or 3 is the (unofficial) backup launch day with times of
  17:54 UT and 18:24 UT. The launch range does not commit the date until
  after the primary launch date.

  We have 2 DSN stations between 16:50-21:10 on Jan 31, we will ask
  the FOT to delay the dump to allow MDI high rate data for the rocket
  support. We now also have double downlink stations for the same time
  interval for February 2.

  MDI: Jeff has expressed interest in getting more MDI Continuum
  images than just the 96 minute images. I think an acceptable
  compromise is to run p30c_fd_m1 during the flights to get 1 minute
  cadence Continuum images along with Magnetograms. MDI will run that
  different campaign as long as there are no objections. MDI realizes
  that SOHO may have to be in record for any flights that are
  postponed until Feb 01 or after.

  CDS plans have been worked out.

  EIT's (non-shutterless) plan is to use full-field, full-res (fffr)
  synoptic sets at the following timings for the rocket supports:

  17:30 UT        fffr 171  image
  17:36 UT        fffr 284  image
  17:43 UT        fffr 195  image
  17:49 UT        fffr 304  image

  18:00 UT        fffr 171  image
  18:06 UT        fffr 284  image
  18:13 UT        fffr 195  image
  18:19 UT        fffr 304  image

  18:30 UT        fffr 171  image
  18:36 UT        fffr 284  image
  18:43 UT        fffr 195  image
  18:49 UT        fffr 304  image

* Feb 3-6       MDI Continuous Contact

  The plan is full disk Magnetograms/Dopplergrams (in best focus for 
  full disk mode).

* Feb 13-17     TRACE Annealing

* Feb 18-27     JOP175 (#7135), Priority TOO, EIT/LASCO/TRACE/UVCS

* Feb 22-Mar 21 26m Keyhole (Feb 28-16 34m Keyhole)

* Mar 17-30     JOP175 (#7135), Priority TOO, EIT/LASCO/TRACE/UVCS

  We stay in submode 5 until March 17 due to the keyhole, and go back
  to submode 5 on March 22 due to the SUMER mini-campaign.  EIT
  support with full-res 304 CME Watch is only possible in submode 6.

  UVCS will participate March 17-26.

* Mar 22-May 21 MDI 60-day Continuous Contact

  Full disk Magnetograms/Dopplergrams.

* Mar 23-Apr 4 SUMER mini-campaign

  See also section 1 for details:

  - detector health check
  - plume observations
  - Jop 002
  - AR loops (off limb)

  SUMER contact will be Udo Schuehle/Klaus Wilhelm.

* Mar 29        Solar Eclipse, 08:34-11:48 UT, SUMER/UVCS/TRACE/CDS(TBC),
                  POC: Alan Gabriel (
                Solar Eclipse, 10:40 UT, EIT/TRACE/LASCO, 
                  POC: Serge Koutchmy (
                Solar Eclipse, 10:53-11 UT, TRACE/EIT, 

  SUMER has been requested to support ground based observations during
  this eclipse, so we will be in submode 5 around this date - from
  about March 23-April 4. The observations will be along the lines of
  JOP002, but suggestions about a roll have been withdrawn, so an
  updated (actually, new!) JOP description should be drawn up. 

  For eclipse details, see:

  CDS support for Alan Gabriel's request is under consideration.

  UVCS will participate for Mar. 27-31. 

  Serge Koutchmy sent an email on 16 November with requested
  observations from TRACE, EIT, LASCO for the eclipse: One 304 image
  at 10:40 UT +/- 2 min, and one 195 image as close as possible to
  that, either before or after. Routine images taken hours before and
  after will also be useful. LASCO images (near-simultaneous, within
  +/- 10 min, and hours before/after) are also needed.

  EIT has been asked by Jay Pasachoff for a synoptic set around 11:00
  UT, as well as as frequent as possible synoptic sets (usual cadence)
  +/-1 day around the time of eclipse, as provided in the past. While
  they're enthusiastic about the science that SUMER will be doing
  during the eclipse, they have some concern that EIT and LASCO may
  not have enough bandwidth in submode 5 to meet the requests rigth
  around the time(s) of totality. Kevin probably needs to make up a
  plan before we can feel comfortable.

  MDI wonders if we will be in record for the eclipse? 

  SOC note: So far, nobody has requested it, and it would mean poking
  a hole in the MDI 60-day continuous contact. It's a unique event,
  but nobody has so far made a convincing argument that a "typical"
  (i.e. small) dropout of data would ruin the entire observing
  sequence or compromise a wider science goal (as is the case with
  e.g. calibration flights).  Data recovery is above 99% on average.

* Apr 12,19     EIT Shutterless #23, 18:00-20:40 UT

  SUMER plans to observe on April 12, with buffered observations in
  submode 6.

  CDS will participate.

  TRACE will very likely participate.

  MDI will support Shutterless #23 with Full Disk Magnetograms and
  Dopplergrams along with 96 minute synoptic Magnetograms and
  Continuum images.

* May 27-Jun 14 26m Keyhole (May 31-Jun 11 34m Keyhole)

b) Intercalibration activities

  Last Intercal 1: January 4

* Feb 01      ICAL01 (#7113), CDS/EIT
* Week 8      ICAL01 (#7113), CDS/EIT

c) Individual instrument plans


  See section 2a for MDI continuous contact periods.

  MDI may reduce the ALT cadence during Keyholes to be less than 15 ALT
  magnetograms per day if the lack of high rate telemetry is such that
  we will lose all or almost all of the 15 ALT Magnetograms each day.
  The ALT cadence will be decided on an individual Keyhole basis and
  even a daily basis during each Keyhole depending on the 70m antenna
  availability at the time.

  All requests for MDI support need to be made several months ahead of
  time and sent to Even outside keyholes,
  MDI can only do 1-minute cadence observations when we have contact and
  there is no recorder dump in progress.

  MDI's REQUEST page is at NOTE: Listing of a
  study on that page means *only* that a request has been received, not
  that it will necessarily be supported.

  A description of MDI Observing Modes most used for JOPs and campaigns
  (FD vs. HR) can be found at
  Anyone requesting MDI observations is encouraged to read this page in
  order to have a better idea of what observing modes would be best suited
  for a particular study.  More detailed information about how MDI
  operates, observational constraints and telemetry information can be
  found at

  MDI is back in best focus for Full Disk observing.


  We have been using the LyA detector for some observations and will
  keep planning so when appropriate.

  For weekly plans, see the SOHO calendar and the UVCS planning page:

  The following are listed because of NRT requirements or as candidates
  for collaboration (with e.g. CDS):

* Jan 11-Jan 29 UVCS South Polar Coronal Hole Study
* Jan 30-Feb 09 UVCS Streamer Study
* Feb 10-15     UVCS Suprathermal Seed Particle Population 
* Feb 16-17     UVCS Observations of 38 Aqr


  See their request diary for details:

  A re-calibration of GIS (filament and raw data dumps) is under



  SUMER plans a compact campaign starting Mar 23 and ending Apr 4.
  Ending date could be as early as Mar 31, weekend is contingency.
  Needs confirmation by IAS.


  The outcome of the Senior Review of all Sun-Solar System missions in
  the fall of 2005 will determine the level of support (or no support)
  for each mission in the future. TRACE operations will continue
  through at least the fall of 2006. The NASA response to the Senior
  Review panel recommendations for operations beyond that are expected
  to be released by February 2006.

  The outcome of the Senior Review of all Sun-Solar System missions this
  fall will determine the level of support (or no support) for each
  mission in the future. TRACE operations will continue through at least
  the rest of the year.

  NOTE that TRACE in general reserves the right to withdraw support from
  agreed, existing collaborations if a sufficiently "good active region"
  is called by the Max Millennium group.

  The TRACE eclipse season is expected to end February 17. TRACE will load
  plans 3 times a week (Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays).

3. AOB

* Next SPWG:

F Feb 24        SPWG after Daily/Weekly Meetings

* For discussion during the meeting:

  We have gotten mixed feedback regarding the new meeting format.
  Some like it, others don't.  Most importantly, teams with widely
  spread teams like the old format b/c of the simplicity of forwarding
  a draft response for proofing.  Most likely we will do something
  that will suit everyone quite well: We will provide the old style
  emails with "request-for-comment" lines in addition to the
  highlighted differences from last final minutes; people can respond
  in whatever form they like - with or without including the whole
  text from the email.  To simplify the work of putting in/taking out
  the request-for-comment lines, they will stay in the minutes (also
  on the web) until the calendar item expires.

  It has also been suggested to eliminate the monthly meetings
  entirely and do it all over email, sending out the final version
  whenever all responses are in.  The arguments are that there is
  little added value in "getting together just to have the responses
  read to us", and eliminating the meeting would give everyone more
  time without a stressful time crunch.

  At the meeting, Stein argued as follows: There is a need to keep
  deadlines for responses roughly as they are - things keep changing
  so the comments must be collected over a confined period of time, or
  else they get outdated.  Although it is superfluous in theory to go
  over the changes (cursorily) at the meeting - they should all be
  clearly visible on the web page - there is some added value in case
  people have not had time to look over the changes, because relevant
  questions may become apparent.

  Stein suggested an alternate solution: to have the deadlines for
  responses as they are now (Thursday afternoon), but let people have
  all Friday to read them and come up with any questions. The
  questions (if any!) would then be raised as an AOB at the daily
  meeting the following Monday. However, it would be nice to stick
  with the current arrangement until Tero Siili (Stein's replacement
  has had a chance to form an opinion).

The rest are FYI items:

* Why decouple the SK/MM and the roll?

  The LGA stick antenna we use during the 34m keyhole does not beam
  the signal uniformly.  In particular during the "long" keyholes
  (spring and fall), the small difference due to the up/down
  orientation of SOHO is enough to cause a difference in the downlink
  quality, with the quality always being worse *after* the roll
  because it then points in a less favourable direction.  So, we want
  the roll to be as late as possible, but before the transponder swap
  back to the HGA (the HGA orientation is of course why we need to do
  the roll in the first place).

  For the SK/MM it is desirable to have a fairly long set of passes to
  accommodate the "maneuver prep", manoevres, and "maneuver end"
  activities in one go.  In addition, the burns themselves should be
  performed on a single station (not a D/L + U/L combination) so
  ranging can be done to assess the actual delta-v along the line of

  For the roll, the preparation+roll+cleanup takes much less time and
  there's no need for ranging, so almost any decent pass will be

  If the two different sets of criteria ("long pass[es] with ranging
  in the middle" vs "almost any decent pass right before the
  transponder swap") cannot be fulfilled on a single day, we're likely
  to split the two operations. (Note - only MDI needs any safing
  before a roll, so not much time is wasted by splitting it up).

  This whole thing became clear some time before the previous keyhole
  - but that keyhole was a short one (i.e. better signal-to-noise
  ratio in the first place), plus the natural SK/MM placement was
  fairly close to the transponder swap going out of the keyhole.

* If anyone has projects that require high rate (i.e. 1 minute
  cadence) MDI support, now is a good time to ask! If you need MDI
  data, make sure you request it specifically. There is no significant
  change in the shutter performance over the last 10 months;
  monitoring continues, but no immediate changes in operations are

* DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance.  Keep
  this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
  support, stellar/shutterless observations that require NRT, etc.