SOHO SPWG Minutes
SPWG FINAL MINUTES
Friday 29 July 2005
1. Boundary conditions
- SOHO is upside down until the next manoeuvre, which is scheduled for
- Scheduling windows for keyhole periods through 2005 are listed on
the SOHO calendar. For estimated keyhole dates through 2008 see
- Except for Major Flare Watches, TRACE will be doing full disk
mosaics if/when EIT is not able to do synoptic sets due to keyhole
- MDI continuous contacts are listed in Section 2 a) below and on the
MDI can only support requested observations with full disk, 1 minute
cadence Magnetograms and Dopplergrams through Sept 30, 2005. Due to
the 60 day Continuous Contact (June 25-August 28), MDI will be
unable to provide any high resolution observations during that time.
Due to the June 2005 and September 2005 Keyholes, MDI will be unable
to provide most high RATE observations for any requested
observations and the default program during the Keyholes will be
either full disk, 1 minute cadence Magnetograms/Dopplergrams or full
disk, 1 minute cadence Magnetograms/Continuum Images. Send email to
firstname.lastname@example.org to request observations. Each
request will be evaluated on an individual basis by the MDI/SOI
- KNOWN submode dependent activities & submode changes:
* TOO JOP153/MMOP003 Future Major Flare Watch (SM5 if SUMER
observes target, SM6 otherwise)
* TOO JOP175 Extended Filaments at the Limb (see sect. 2a), SM6
* Aug 18,23 EIT Shutterless #20, SM6
* Aug 23 MOSES launch, SM6
* Aug 28-Sep 30 26m Keyhole (Sep 6-22 34m Keyhole), SM5 or SM6(end)
* Oct 5 Submode change to Submode 5, ~15 UT, TBC
* Oct 6-17 Fine Scale Structures, SUMER/MDI(TBC)/CDS(TBC)/THEMIS/DOT, SM5
* Oct 18 Submode change to Submode 6, ~15 UT, TBC
* Oct 19,26 EIT Shutterless #21, SM6, TBC
* Nov 1-Dec 15 SUMER Campaign, SM5, TBC (unlikely)
* Dec 2-22 26m Keyhole (Dec 6-17 34m Keyhole), SM5 or SM6(end)
* 06/05/01-06/06/15 SUMER Campaign
* 06/11/01-06/12/15 SUMER Campaign
The November 1 - December 15 2005 SUMER campaign will most likely be
- EIT Bakeout/Other
* Sep EIT Bakeout (based on keyhole schedule), TBD
- Commanding outlook - see http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/soc/dsn/
2. Priorities for the coming month & more
a) Joint observing plans and campaigns
* 2002/02/25-- JOP136 Default RHESSI Collaborations (#6850), POC:Stein Haugan
* 2002/04/25-- JOP159 CMEs in Lyman-alpha (#6870), SWAN/LASCO/EIT/UVCS,
POC: Chris St Cyr, Eric Quemerais
* 2003/05/13-- Default CDS Co-observations with TRACE (#6950)
* 2003/07/01-- Network-Internetwork Oscillations (#7033), EIT/TRACE,
POC: Scott McIntosh
* 2004/02/19-- JOP175 Extended Filaments at the Limb (#7135),
POC: Chris St Cyr (Chris.StCyr@nasa.gov)
* 2005/01/24-- JOP153/MMOP003 Future Major Flare Watch (#8002)
Campaign #6850 is for "individual instrument studies" selecting an AR
target [partially] influenced by the Max Millennium target selection
to maximise chances of serendipitous co-observations.
EIT supports all with half/full-res 195 Å CME watch in submode 5/6,
except JOP175 getting half/full-res 304 Å CME watch in submode 5/6,
and Network-Internetwork Oscillations which is TBD by Scott McIntosh.
As long as the S/C is in submode 6, all EIT CME watch will be in full
* Jun 25-Aug 28 MDI 60 Day Continuous Contact
The plan is full disk magnetograms and Dopplergrams.
* Jul 27-Aug 2 JOP155 Polar Coronal Jets, UVCS/EIT/LASCO/TRACE
POC: John Raymond (email@example.com) and
Danuta Dobrzycka (firstname.lastname@example.org)
CDS is not supporting due to problems with NIS.
* Aug 3 CELIAS SEM Calibration Rocket Flight, CELIAS/EIT,
18:30 UT, POC: Andrew Jones (email@example.com)
Note: Date changed from August 2 - we have secured a second downlink
station until 19:10 UT so we will not need to go to record unless
the launch is delayed beyond 19:00. MDI accepts to be in record for
about 10 minutes if needed, but strongly suggests not to lengthen
this period considering the impacts to the 60 day continuous
Andrew Jones will be in contact by telephone to ensure that the
10-minute recording is coordinated with the flight, if required.
CDS support is unlikely due to problems with NIS.
* Aug 13-24 JOP157 Bright points in ARs, CDS/EIT/MDI/TRACE(TBC)/THEMIS/VTT,
EIT will support with 195 CME Watch.
Due to the 60-day continuous contact, MDI can only support with one-minute
cadence, full disk Dopplergrams and magnetograms, with continuum images
every 96 minutes.
CDS support has been confirmed.
* Aug 15-23 Streamer Study, CDS/UVCS, POC: Michael Uzzo
* Aug 18 EIT Shutterless #20, Segment 1, EIT/CDS/TRACE/MDI/SPIRIT,
MDI can support with full disk magnetograms/Doppler. EIT will be taking
304 Angstrom images during this segment.
* Aug 18-21 Spicule Study, TRACE/SST, POC: Jay.M.Pasachoff@williams.edu
* Aug 23 Sounding Rocket Launch, MOSES/CDS/EIT/MDI/TRACE, ~17:45 UT,
POC: Charles Kankelborg (mithra.physics.montana.edu), TBC
We were unable to get a backup station for this new date. Since MDI
has been requested to supply full disk magnetograms, the spacecraft
will not be recording while we are in (continuous) contact.
MDI can support with 1 minute cadence full disk magnetograms/Doppler.
CDS studies are under consideration.
The EIT Shutterless (below) is supporting the MOSES launch.
* Aug 23 EIT Shutterless #20, Segment 2, EIT/CDS/TRACE/MDI/SPIRIT,
As always, MDI is supporting with at least full disk magnetograms/Doppler.
* Aug 30-Sep 29 26m Keyhole (Sep 6-22 34m Keyhole)
* Sep 1-10 Wave Propagation from Photosphere to Corona, MDI/SST/DOT/TRACE,
POC: Bart DePontieu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
MDI will try to collaborate as much as DSN allows (half of the period is
within the 34m keyhole) and as long as this study doesn't conflict with
JOP178 (they might actually have overlapping observations at certain times).
Request for HR Mag/Doppler/Filtergrams or FD Mags/Doppler.
* Sep 7-21 JOP178 Filament and its Environment, MDI/CDS/EIT/TRACE/GBOs,
POC: Thierry Roudier (email@example.com), TBC
See http://bass2000.bagn.obs-mip.fr/jop178/index.html for details.
EIT supports with 195 Å CME Watch plus TBD 304 Å observations if not
in bakeout or otherwise prevented by keyhole.
MDI will try to collaborate as much as DSN allows (during 34m keyhole) with
HR or FD Magnetograms.
TRACE will join on September 11 (when Bart DePontieu's study is
* Sep 8 Spacecraft Maneuvers and 180 Degree Roll
* Sep 22-28 Filament Observations, CDS/EIT/THEMIS,
POC: Guillaume.Pouget@ias.u-psud.fr, TBC
CDS supports as the keyhole schedule allows.
Given that the first full day of 26m support is September 29, EIT
participation is unlikely due to bakeout. EIT participation beyond
CME watch (if not in bakeout) dependent on contact and ground
observing schedules, since it could involve sector wheel motions.
* Sep 23-Oct 17 Magnetic Elements and Waves in the Chromosphere,
MDI/TRACE/SST, POC: Mats.Carlsson@astro.uio.no
MDI: This begins during the 26m Keyhole and overlaps with a 5-day
continuous contact period, Oct 12-16. HR Mag/Doppler program likely for the
continuous contact period if target in the high res FOV.
* Oct 6-17 Fine Scale Structures,
POC: Georgia Tsiropoula (firstname.lastname@example.org)
JOP description being worked on.
CDS studies are being worked out.
MDI: We have a La Palma coordination from Sept 23 - Oct 17 and an
MDI 5 Day CC from Oct 12-16. We can only support Fine Scale
Structures with what we are providing to La Palma (which will likely
be what we do for CC). I believe both La Palma and Fine Scale
Structures has requested HR Mag/Doppler/Filt, so if they can both
pick targets close together, MDI should be able to provide support
Submode changes for this will be on October 5 and 18, TBC.
* Oct 12-16 MDI Continuous Contact, TBC
MDI: High res Mag/Doppler or 3-variable high res program likely since there
has been interest expressed by several collaborators, provided the targets
are in the MDI high res FOV.
* Oct 18 Sounding Rocket Launch, EUNIS/EIT/CDS/TRACE,
POC: Jeffrey.W.Brosius.email@example.com, TBC
This is the tentative launch date.
* Oct 18-22 JOP179 Energy Propagation in XBPs, CDS/EIT/MDI/Hida,
POC: Tetsuya Watanabe (WATANABE@uvlab.mtk.nao.ac.jp)
Hida observing times are about 21 - 06 UT.
CDS will support, but needs more details.
MDI: We have a conflict with JOP182 now. JOP182 has asked for Full
HR FOV observations from MDI for Oct 20-24. MDI will be happy to
support JOP179 from Oct 18-20, but will have to switch to HR Oct 20
if requested to do so by JOP182. Will CDS have a conflict with
these two JOPS as well? Unfortunately, JOP179 was planned a year
ago and JOP182 cannot move their timing since TRACE will be
approaching eclipse season, so MDI will have to split JOP179's time
(unless, of course, they both want FD or HR at the same time)!
EIT support is 195 Å CME watch (submode 6)
* Oct 19, 26 EIT Shutterless, TBC
The submode change on October 18 to submode 6 is needed for this.
* Oct 20-24 JOP182 Structure and Dynamics of Coronal XRBPs, CDS/MDI/TRACE,
Daniel Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org), TBC
We will request extra DSN coverage for this period, but must warn
that the current coverage gaps (and associated recorder dumps in
addition) are likely to remain. The current contact schedule can be
found at http://soho.nascom.nasa.gov/soc/dsn/42.html (and the
following week). October 24 has large gaps, the other days look
MDI: See above comment to JOP179. JOP182 wants HR Full FOV
Mag/Doppler from MDI and JOP179 wants FD Mag/Doppler from MDI. I
believe MDI may have to cut the JOP179 support short. Details can
be worked out closer to the observing times.
b) Intercalibration activities
Last Intercal 1: April 6
T Aug 4 ICAL01 (#7113), CDS/EIT, 10UT
Note: This will be a GIS only study for CDS.
* Week 34 ICAL01 (#7113), CDS/EIT, TBC
Note: The Week 31 instance was moved from Week 30 due to the CDS NIS
situation. CDS will run the GIS part only during week 31 (Wednesday is
c) Individual instrument plans
See section 2a for MDI continuous contact periods.
MDI may reduce the ALT cadence during Keyholes to be less than 15 ALT
magnetograms per day if the lack of high rate telemetry is such that
we will lose all or almost all of the 15 ALT Magnetograms each day.
The ALT cadence will be decided on an individual Keyhole basis and
even a daily basis during each Keyhole depending on the 70m antenna
availability at the time.
All requests for MDI support need to be made several months ahead of
time and sent to email@example.com. Even outside keyholes,
MDI can only do 1-minute cadence observations when we have contact and
there is no recorder dump in progress.
MDI's REQUEST page is at
http://mdisas.nascom.nasa.gov/coordination.txt NOTE: Listing of a
study on that page means *only* that a request has been received, not
that it will necessarily be supported.
A description of MDI Observing Modes most used for JOPs and campaigns
(FD vs. HR) can be found at http://mdisas.nascom.nasa.gov/Collaborate.
Anyone requesting MDI observations is encouraged to read this page in
order to have a better idea of what observing modes would be best suited
for a particular study. More detailed information about how MDI
operates, observational constraints and telemetry information can be
found at http://mdisas.nascom.nasa.gov/MDI_Collaboration_Details.
For weekly plans, see the SOHO calendar and the UVCS planning page:
The following are listed because of NRT requirements or as candidates
for collaboration (with e.g. CDS):
* Aug 3-14 UVCS Measurements of Suprathermal Seed Particle Populations
in the Extended Corona
* Aug 15-23 UVCS Streamer Study
* Aug 24 UVCS Star Observations
* Aug 25-26 UVCS Characterization of the HI Lyman Alpha Channel
* Aug 27-29 UVCS Observations of Rho Leo
CDS will support the UVCS Streamer Study (15-23 August).
See their request diary for details:
CDS is supporting observations of James McAteer who's using the
Rapid Dual Imager (RDI) at Sac Peak from 4-14 Aug.
Will be observing again in October.
The TRACE Mission will not be terminated on 1 October. NASA has
decided to have a Senior Review of all Sun-Solar System missions this
fall, the outcome of which will determine the level of support (or no
support) for each mission in the future. TRACE operations will
therefore continue through at least the rest of the year, especially
through the summer observing season in the northern hemisphere.
NOTE that TRACE in general reserves the right to withdraw support from
agreed, existing collaborations if a sufficiently "good active region"
is called by the Max Millennium group.
* Next SPWG:
F Aug 26 SPWG Meeting
The rest are FYI items:
* If anyone has projects that require high rate (i.e. 1 minute
cadence) MDI support, now is a good time to ask! If you need MDI
data, make sure you request it specifically. There is no significant
change in the shutter performance over the last 10 months;
monitoring continues, but no immediate changes in operations are
* DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance. Keep
this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
support, stellar/shutterless observations that require NRT, etc.