SOHO SPWG Minutes
Friday, June 28, 2002
1. Review of action items
2. Boundary conditions
* The next MM/SK maneuver will most likely be in September.
* MDI's next continuous contact will be July 17-22.
Submode 6 until August 21 at 16 UT, then submode 5 until
August 27 at 16 UT, when we go back to submode 6.
* Commanding outlook: See AOB section.
* The EIT CalRoc has been cancelled/postponed.
The CELIAS/SEM launch is on schedule for a target launch date of August 7.
* An offpoint for EIT/MDI/LASCO will be performed on August 20.
We must have all observation/safing requirements in by Tuesday July 9.
* MEDOC Campaign #10 is planned for October 21 - November 3
3. Priorities for the coming month (W28-31, July 8-28)
a) Joint observing plans and campaigns
UVCS has been added to JOP159:
* April 25 on JOP159 CME's in Lyman-alpha (#6870), SWAN/LASCO/EIT/UVCS,
POC: Chris St Cyr, Eric Quemerais
* Jul 20-26 JOP150 Dynamics and Seismology of the Solar Atmosphere,
POC: Alexander Kosovichev (sasha@quake.Stanford.EDU)
EIT has been asked to add one or two synoptic sets between 0900-1700.
This will be in collaboration with the shutterless campaign (see below).
MDI will try to be in high res field of view for JOP150.
* Jul 24 EIT Shutterless (TBC), EIT/CDS, 1700-1940 UT
* Jul 27-Aug 1 JOP160 Emergence and Evolution of Young Active Regions,
MDI/THEMIS/TRACE, POC: Daniele Spadaro (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Local POC: Sarah Gregory
MDI and TRACE approve. Sarah Gregory will be the deputy JOP leader.
* Jul 27-Aug 10 CDS/HIDA Collaboration, 22-08 UT, POC: David Brooks
Will be run for one week during time period. Joint observations with
CDS and the Hida observatory. Observe in Japanese daytime, in July
or August that is about 22:00 to 08:00 UT.
* Jul 31 EIT Shutterless (Backup), EIT/CDS
* Aug 4-12 Active Region Studies, CDS/GBOs, 14-19 UT, POC: Luca Teriaca
* Aug 4-17 High Cadence campaign, RHESSI/MaxMillennium/SacPeak/TRACE,
POC: Gianna Cauzzi
TOO declared by MaxMillennium Chief Observer. TRACE will give some support.
* Aug 7 CELIAS/SEM underflight (+/- 7 days)
CDS will be taking full disk, full spectrum
* Aug 12-31 Extended Effects of Flares, CDS/EIT/LASCO/TRACE(TBC)/RHESSI,
POC: Carl Foley
TRACE has not recorded any request yet.
* August 20 SOHO offpoint
* Aug 28-Sep 6 High Cadence Studies of Active Regions, CDS/BBSO/RHESSI,
16-24 UT, POC: Peter Gallagher & David Williams
* Sep 6-13 JOP155 Polar Coronal Jets at the Declining Phase of the
Solar Cycle, UVCS/EIT/LASCO/CDS/TRACE,
POC: Danuta Dobrzycka
Targets of opportunity for the whole period:
* JOP136/MMOP009 Default RHESSI collaboration (#6850)
* JOP153/MMOP003 Major Flare Alert
Campaign number 6850 has been set aside for "individual instrument studies"
that select their AR target [partially] influenced by the RHESSI target. Note
that the RHESSI target will be observed by a significant number of ground
based observatories, so chances for serendipitous co-observations are larger
when selecting the RHESSI target.
* See also the Monthly Calendar at:
b) Individual instrument plans
(See the SOHO monthly calendar for weekly plans)
See their request diary for details
* Jul 24 EIT Shutterless (TBC), EIT/CDS
* Jul 30/31 EIT Shutterless Backup Day (TBC), EIT/CDS
High-cadence polariser sequences for one month, starting July 5.
This is a new program that will be tested on July 3/4.
EIT+C3 will drop 1 image/hr each to allow for this.
c) Intercalibration activities
Last Intercal 1: June 12
* Week 28/29 ICAL01, CDS/EIT, POC: CDS Planner
NOTE added after meeting: EIT will drop Intercal 1 for this month,
due to the high-cadence polariser sequence.
* Next SPWG: Friday 19 July at 2pm in EAF
* DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance. Keep
this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
support, stellar/shutterless observations that require NRT, etc.
* If anyone has projects that require high-cadence MDI support,
now is a good time to ask! If you need MDI data, make sure you request
* Commanding outlook
- These times are subject to change
- More details available if wanted:
Week 27 - July 1-7: D27 on Monday, Friday, Saturday. Morning or
lunchtime gaps most other days with good
commanding after that.
Week 28 - July 8-14: D27 on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday.
D27 in the afternoons only on Monday and
Thursday. Friday is good.
Week 29 - July 15-21: D27 on Monday, Tuesday, Friday. D27 for half
a day on Wednesday, Saturday. Thursday and
Sunday are good. Continuous contact starts on
Week 30 - July 22-28: D27 on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
D27 for half a day on Monday, Sunday. Wednesday
is good. Continuous contact ends Monday.
Week 31 - July 28 - August 4: Gap followed by D27 on Monday, Tuesday.
D27 on Friday. Wednesday and Saturday
are good. Thursday and Sunday have a
gap then are good.