SOHO SPWG Minutes
Friday January 21, 2000
1. Review of action items
2. Boundary conditions
- Upcoming Maneuvers/spacecraft activities
Feb 1: Tape recorder maintenance, a few extra NRT pauses.
No maneuvers for the current planning period.
A mini-recommissioning including more gyroless software patches
is tentatively scheduled for the week of March 6 - 10.
Reaction wheel 4 maintenance, station keeping, momentum managements
will be performed at some time between March 6 - March 22.
Details are still being determined, more information available later.
- MDI Continuous
* Feb 10 11:40 UT - Feb 15 07:50 UT
3. JOPs status
* JOP119: Variability and Physical Properties of Transequatorial
EIT part unacceptable because of frequent sector wheel/shutter
operations. Appendix A of the EIT User's guide found at
http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/eit/eit_guide/ now describes some of
the operational constraints for EIT.
Also, the TRACE part of the JOP should take into account that CDS's
observations take ~6 hours, it would make sense to suggest a TRACE
program covering the whole time frame.
MDI will be in touch with JOP authors to clarify and emphasize
possible conflicts with respect to switching between Full Disk/High
Resolution, especially during MDI Continuous periods.
4. Priorities for the coming month (W 5 - W 9)
a) Joint observing plans
- No JOPs scheduled.
b) Individual instrument plans
* CME onset study, 10-15 hr study to be run once per week several
times during February. Coordination w/UVCS possible, TRACE not
likely due to Emerging Flux studies.
* GIS Large area raster (about 10hr) to be performed once. Possible
coordination with EIT to be worked out [EIT observing mode yet
* Polarity reversal study, 8-10 hour program
* Oslo AR/Loops on Limb study
* Oslo Sunspot campaign, coordination w/TRACE and MDI possible
* 195 CME Watch. Most likely, a weekend bakeout will be performed
during February, date still to be determined.
* May coordinate with:
- CDS GIS Large area raster for cross-calibration.
- TRACE/VLA observations Feb 5-8, contact Rob Wilson.
* There is a calibration rocket flight within March - May time frame.
* Synoptic program
* Will run in Full Disk mode unless an active region enters the
High Resolution FOV. May run "Mag Movies" (alternating Full
Disk/High Resolution) during TRACE Emerging Flux Studies.
* 2 Weeks of CME Watch [coordinate with CDS]
* 2 Weeks of Global Dynamic Studies of the Extended Corona
* Feb 5,6,7(?),8: VLA observations [16-21UT]. Rob Wilson
* Feb 8-28: Emerging Flux studies. Best effort MDI support [MagMovie]
* TRACE representative will ask other TRACE members if they
could do a few full disk mosaics during whichever weekend EIT will
bake out there detector.
c) Intercalibration activities
* Feb 23: Intercal 001, CDS/EIT. TRACE participation not determined.
5. Preview of future months
* See the Monthly Calendar at:
There is a Max Millenium campaign involving CDS scheduled for March:
* Next SPWG:
- February 25, 2pm local
* Discussion w/input from Hugh Hudson on how to make SOHO more accessible
to "guest observers". A "SOHO cookbook" on how to write JOPs or request
observations should be made.
* REMINDER: DSN support should be requested at least 6 months in advance.
Keep this in mind for: ground-based collaborations that require MDI
support, stellar observations that require NRT, etc.