SOHO SPWG Minutes
SPWG October 15, 1999 Meeting Minutes
1. Review of action items
* Intercal001: TRACE part added, see the JOPs page for either DVI or PS
format descriptions: http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/soc/JOPs/
* Action on: N. Gopalswamy
Submit new JOP to SOCs: Microwave Enhancement in Coronal Holes,
SUMER/EIT/MDI/Nobeyama, to run October 1999, 2300-0700UT
2. Boundary conditions
- Upcoming Maneuvers
Momentum management in preparation for Leonids: November 10 or 12
After SPWG: FDF looking into moving momentum management to Nov 9.
Fuel consumption approximately 50g.
Instrument plans to be discussed at the SWT. First plans for the
Leonids guideline is unchanged: protect the star tracker. This
time, the new Coarse Roll Pointing (CRP) mode will be used both
for the roll maneuver (~120 degrees) and for roll control (SSU OFF).
Instruments should be safed by November 17, 02:20 UT
- MDI 5-day Continuous: Nov. 9 at 19:35 UT - Nov. 16 at 07:50 UT
3. Priorities for the coming month
a) Joint observing plans
- JOP113: The Triggering and Evolution of Solar Flares
SUMER participates when in high rate (Submode 4), and may
contribute (w/Loops on Limb Study) when target is AR on limb.
MDI expects to participate most of the time when receiving high
- JOP107: Lyman Line Series in Prominences and Lyman Continua (#6235),W44
SUMER/CDS POC:Terry Kucera
- Transit of Mercury, see http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/soc/mercury99.html
In EIT FOV November 15, 17:42 - November 16, 01:42 UT approximately,
times depend on definitive orbit. SSR will be ON for this time period.
SUMER will not be on since it is not an occultation, would not improve
stray light asessment.
- Microwave Enhancement in Coronal Holes to be run during October
(see action item on N. Gopalswamy)
b) Individual instrument plans
MDI -- Time/Distance Study of Active Regions, and/or Flare Watch. (November)
Support of JOP113 when possible, and/or Oslo's uninterrupted
TRACE -- Eclipse Season (November 7, 1999 - February 5, 2000).
Satellite has day/night cycle; Operations to be kept as simple
Continuous 4-panel mosaic limb study (20 Nov - 6 Dec)
CDS -- Oslo sunspot/AR loops studies (W43, when not in submode 4),
no support for other studies, impact to synoptic studies
EIT -- Bakeout during Submode 4, Oct 29 - Nov 01
SUMER -- Loop diagnostics on the Limb, possible coordination with JOP113.
UVCS -- Intercal009 will most likely not be run in W43
LASCO -- Nothing unusual, C2/C3 synoptics continue.
c) Intercalibration activities
* Intercal001: W44, SUMER participation TBC with U. Schuehle
* A new Intercal between TRACE, EIT (possibly also CDS) being
discussed by T. Tarbell/J. Newmark.
4. Preview of future months
* Not many changes since last time, see the Monthly Calendar at:
* JOP112 Coordinated SOHO-Ulysses elemental abundance study
December 4-12. Some SUMER/CDS commanding from MEDOC.
5. JOPs status
* UPDATED: JOP104 Doppler shifts in X-ray jets
SUMER diagnostics part changed
6. New JOPs
* JOP112, Coordinated SOHO-Ulysses elemental abundance study.
UVCS/SUMER/CDS/LASCO/Ulysses, Leader: Giannina Poletto
The JOP was accepted, though CDS part needs to be specified
by Barbara Bromage.
* JOP113, The triggering and evolution of Solar Flares
TRACE/Yohkoh/CDS/SUMER/MDI, Leader: Jake Wolfson/Lyndsay Fletcher
The JOP was accepted.
* Next SPWG:
- Friday, November 19 at 2:00 pm. (To avoid the Thanksgiving holidays).
* REMINDER: DSN support should be requested at least
6 months in advance. Keep this in mind for: ground-based collaborations
that require MDI support, stellar observations that require NRT, etc.