SOHO SPWG Minutes - March 1996
15 March 1996, SOHO EAF, GSFC
- Status update
- Review "1st month of SOHO science"
- Boundary conditions
- Priorities + outline
- Individual instrument plans
- Calibration plans
- Joint plans
- Long-term schedule: plans for 2 months continuous
- JOPs status and priorities
- New JOPs
- Final commissioning report
- Plans for vacating EOF overflow room (SWAN, CELIAS, CEPAC, GOLF)
- Summary Data and "As-run-database".
A. Poland, B. Fleck, V. Domingo, J. Charra, E. Marsch, E. Quemerais,
P. Lemaire, J.-P. Delaboudiniere, D. Moses, U. Schuehle, K. Wilhelm,
C. DeForest, A. Gabriel, J. Kohl, J. Michels, J. Newmark, R. Bush, B.
Thompson, F. Clette, D. Michels, J. Raymond, J.-C. Vial, A. Fludra, A.
Galvin, Maucherat, O. Kjeldseth-Moe, W. Neupert, P. Martens.
- SPWG 3.1:
- on P. Martens to check feasibility of a 2-deg offset for comet
observations from the S/C point of view.
- SPWG 3.2:
- on P. Martens to provide timeline to combine S/C rolls with
station keeping maneuver just prior to 2 months continuous.
- SPWG 3.3:
- on PIs to provide plans for 2 months continuous at next SWT meeting.
- SPWG 3.4:
- on PIs to start providing summary data routinely in April.
- SPWG 3.5:
- on PIs to routinely provide input to "as-run" database in April.
1. Status update
Each instrument team representative gave a brief report of their
activities and achievements of the past month.
2. Review "1st month of SOHO science"
SOHO DRAFT SCHEDULE FOR APRIL 1996
S Mar 31 Start of the 34-meter antenna support
Planned end of commissioning phase
BEGIN "FIRST MONTH OF SOHO SCIENCE"
M Apr 01 (W14) *** J3 - Off-pointing
T Apr 02 *** (DSN Support tbc)
W Apr 03 ***
T Apr 04 ***
F Apr 05 Intercal 001
S Apr 06 Intercal 002, phase 1 (if required) XBP campaign
S Apr 07 XBP campaign
M Apr 08 (W15) Intercal 002, phase 2 XBP campaign
T Apr 09 Above Limb Intercal 009 XBP campaign
W Apr 10 XBP campaign
T Apr 11 XBP campaign
F Apr 12 XBP campaign
S Apr 13 XBP campaign
S Apr 14
M Apr 15 (W16)
T Apr 16
W Apr 17
T Apr 18
F Apr 19
S Apr 20
S Apr 21
M Apr 22 (W17)
T Apr 23
W Apr 24 MDI Continuous
T Apr 25 MDI Continuous
F Apr 26 MDI Continuous
S Apr 27
S Apr 28
M Apr 29 (W18)
T Apr 30 END "FIRST MONTH OF SOHO SCIENCE"
W May 01
T May 02
F May 03
S May 04
S May 05
3. Long-term schedule: plans for 2 months continuous
Action on PIs to provide plans for 2 months continuous at next SWT meeting.
4. JOPs status and priorities
- Need for sty-file on WWW Jop page to instruct authors
of future submissions.
- Need to convert all Tex and LaTex file to HTML format
- Reviewed status of high priority JOPs for May timeframe.
- Priority JOPs for April dry-runs: JOPs 002, 013, 035.
5. New JOPs
No new JOPs were proposed.
6. Final commissioning report
Final experiment commissioning report is intended for
presentation to ESA D/Sci and ESA SOHO Project. There
will be similar reports on Spacecraft and ground system.
No objections against proposed format. Project Scientist
will distribute outline early next week via e-mail.
PI's to supply requested information ultimately April 6.
This is a purely formal report, no need for images,
or other science highlights.
FINAL REPORT ON SOHO COMMISSIONING (page 1)
We propose a fairly strict uniform report format to achieve the following:
- Originates from SOHO Project Scientist, with contribution
from all SOHO PI Teams
- To be submitted at the time of the SOHO handover from
ESA Projects to SSD (April 16). If not in final form, at
least a complete draft.
- Draft presented to SPWG, and if agreed, outline will be
send to PI's by e-mail
Presented here is a draft for the reports' contents, and an example
of an outline for one experiment (GOLF). The draft of the
cleanliness part is based on a fax from Ron Thomas and Peter Jensen.
- Possibility of a clear comparison between experiments, and
with the pre-launch commissioning plan
- Avoidance of lengthy descriptions
- Minimal effort by PI teams: much of the report will
simply consist of checking boxes.
- Reports easy to summarize by Project Scientist Team
FINAL REPORT ON SOHO COMMISSIONING (page 2)
- Summary (less than 500 words, by Project Scientist, or
- Conformance summary: table with three columns: original spec,
spec expected at launch, and actual spec
(see Culhane report for example).
- Summary of unresolved experiment anomalies
- Summary of significant resolved experiment anomalies
- Summary of cleanliness reports (as a table if feasible)
Section 2: Final commissioning report per instrument
- Experiment commissioning summary (less than 500 words by
PI, or designated)
- Conformance to Specifications. Table, plus descriptions of
- Completion of commissioning plan: check-off for every
experiment sub-block. Specifications for any items which
were added, not succesfully completed, or dropped.
- List of experiment anomalies
- Cleanliness report. This needs to address the following
- first exposure to space/sunlight,
- number of hours of operation, fully exposed to
- observations of any trends in performance,
- observations of any temperature drifting of sensor
- observations of any particle contamination (e.g. Lasco
- comments from PI
- List of acronyms
- List of references
FINAL REPORT ON SOHO COMMISSIONING (page 3)
(Note that the following outline report would be e-mailed to the
PI for completion. Also note that for some experiments, not just
the blocks, but also the sub-blocks would be included, as they
contain noteworthy information)
Page 1: Summary of the Commissioning of the Global Oscillations
at Low Frequency experiment
(500 words, date of completion)
Page 2: Conformance to Specifications Summary for GOLF: (* = to be supplied)
Parameter Value at Expected Value In-flight
Selection at Launch Calibrated Value
p- and g-mode amplitudes (mm/s) * * *
Instrument limit frequency * * *
Comments by PI: (....)
Page 3: Completion of Commissioning Plan
Block 1: Door Closure Verification *
Block 2: Channel A functional test and tuning *
Block 3: Channel B functional test and tuning *
Block 4: Optimal Channel Switch-on *
J2: S/C oscillations in pitch, yaw, and roll *
J1: S/C roll maneuver for experiment calibrations *
Comments by PI: (required for items added, not succesfully completed,
significantly altered, or dropped)
Page 4: GOLF Anomalies (resolved and unresolved):
Page 5: Cleanliness report:
(1) first exposure to space/sunlight,
(2) number of hours of operation, fully exposed to space/sunlight,
(3) observations of any trends in performance,
(4) observations of any temperature drifting of sensor optics,
(5) observations of any particle contamination,
(6) comments from PI
7. Plans for vacating EOF overflow room (SWAN, CELIAS, CEPAC, GOLF)
Small experiments would like to continue using EOF
overflow room. A quick survey demonstrated that there
is insufficient space in the EOF. It was decided to try
to rearrange IWS's to give the room a dual purpose --
meeting room, and overflow room (as it was used prior
to launch). Thus FOT may support us in keeping the room
for SOHO use.
8. Summary Data and "As-run-database"
Action item on experiments: to start providing summary
data routinely in April. It was also agreed that each
experiment should produce their "as-run" database from
their science plans, with at most several days delay.
Action item on experiments to routinely provide input
to "as-run" database in April.
Next SPWG: April 19, next SICWG tbd